Border Agency Cooperation
What activity does this measure regulate?
• The activities of the different national border agencies in connection with an import, export or transit transaction
• The activities of the border agencies of two Members in connection with trade across a shared border
Which authorities are directly concerned?
• All border agencies
What are the new requirements?
• National border authorities/agencies shall cooperate and coordinate border controls and procedures to facilitate trade
• Countries with common land borders shall cooperate and coordinate procedures to facilitate cross-border trade
1. Each Member shall ensure that its authorities and agencies responsible for border controls and procedures dealing with the importation, exportation, and transit of goods cooperate with one another and coordinate their activities in order to facilitate trade.
2. Each Member shall, to the extent possible and practicable, cooperate on mutually agreed terms with other Members with whom they share a common border with a view to coordinating procedures at border crossings to facilitate cross-border trade. Such cooperation and coordination may include:
(a) alignment of working days and hours;
(b) alignment of procedures and formalities;
(c) development and sharing of common facilities;
(d) joint controls;
(e) establishment of one stop border post control.